An architecture born of sound
While he was working for Le Corbusier in Paris, Xenakis was able to prove his designer ability with the realization of Philips’ pavilion, commissioned to the atelier of the famous architect for the Expo 1958 in Bruxelles. As usual, the architect/musician couldn’t help but introduce in his project music and maths, which were thought to be at one with architecture. So the shape of the pavilion was born from the rigorous mathematical study of thin and freestanding shells. These shells are identified with the Edgar Varèse’s “Poème Èlectronique”, that was represented in its interior. Music and architecture come together in an unprecedented show, in which the sound was identified with space and vice-versa. Pictures projected on curved surfaces, the speakers located carefully and the lights, generate in the users a keen understanding of senses.